Tuesday, July 27, 2010

LA Street Food Fest. I went. I ate. I ate some more.


On Saturday night, we packed a blanket and an appetite and headed east to Pasadena where the LA Street Food Fest was giving things a second go (the organizers' first attempt at the fest sounded awesome but a bit more unruly) at the ginormous Rose Bowl. The lines were still long (like, really long), but there was plenty to distract us as we waited in line after line for samples from the city's most popular food trucks (who were, incidentally, stationed at tented booths and not trucks--I was as confused as you are), including dancers, indie sounds from The Deadly Syndrome, a speech read off a crumpled paper by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and plenty of colorful characters stuffing their faces with 20 different kinds of ice cream and Singha Beer.

Note to my vegetarian brethren: I definitely didn't eat my $45 ticket's worth. Restos were giving out only 1 or 2 samples each, and most of these weren't veg-friendly. I'd complain, except events like these clearly aren't meant for diets like mine. And I knew that. Many thanks to Starry Kitchen though for the amazingness of their tofu balls (see banana below for reference) which won the hearts of vegetarians and carnivores alike.










1 comment:

Amber Avines said...

Thanks for the recap, Jessie. I had wanted to go to this event, but as a fellow vegetarian, I knew I'd lose out big time on the $45 ticket price. While large, these food fests don't cater to our veggie lifestyles (and $45 is a lot to spend on a couple tofu balls!).

Perhaps you and I should organize LA's first all-vegetarian food fest? I'm actually kinda serious on that... :->