Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Tobias Wong. His awesome killer ring. & his passing.

In a year of seemingly endless celebrity deaths, it is always hardest to embrace those of great talents who pass too, too young. Tobias Wong, the Canadian-born, New York-based artist and designer, passed away on Sunday morning. Wong’s brief body of work was overwhelmed by creativity, innovative design, and twists on tradition.

Wong’s ‘Killer Diamond Engagement Ring’ (pictured left) is my favorite example of Wong’s subversive style. To take a romantic icon and turn it on its head–literally–to create a piece so much more interesting and inspiring than the original–genius.

I used to think this was the ring I'd want should some poor guy ever propose to me. He'd be poorer for having me cut him in his sleep though.

[This post originally appeared on Curated.]

No comments: