Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Food Find: Barbrix in Silverlake

After missing the driveway into Barbrix about 4 times and making the same number of U-turns on curvy Hyperion Avenue to try again, I finally found Silver Lake's newest wine and tapas bar last night.

While I can't speak much to the food--my friend and I tried only the Crispy Grilled Polenta--I can vouch for the teeny, tiny portion sizes after receiving our own dish and watching many others arrive at neighbors' tables around us. The tapas are indeed, by definition, small plates. Which for a girl with my appetite is problematic. But they're not terribly priced. And I suppose I could stand to learn some portion control anyway.

I ordered a glass of the Sauvignon Blanc and was pleased. After the second glass, I was tremendously pleased.

Tip #1: Don't sit at the bar during sun down--the large glass wall which faces it will have you feeling like you're lying in a tanning booth turned up dangerously high.

Tip #2: Arrive early--the restaurant fills up fast.

Tip #3: Avoid the $5 valet and easily find street parking nearby.

[Photo Credit: Zagat]

No comments: