Sunday, April 19, 2009

Grey Gardens, the crumbling kingdom.

Tonight was the premiere of Grey Gardens on HBO. As cable, let alone premium cable, is a luxury afforded to those who earn a decent wage, I did not watch the movie's debut. But I did--last night--watch all 10 parts of the original documentary on You Tube.

I am uncertain which was more disturbing--the dependency between needy mother and damaged daugther--or the latter, feeding Wonder Bread to the raccoons living in the attic of their decaying 28 room mansion.

What an incredibly haunting portrayal of fantasy, desperation and regret. Though I'm sure the dramatized version of Little Edie and Big Edie's crumbling kingdom is powerful, I recommend viewing the real deal. Because nothing's so frightening as the real deal.

No comments: