Saturday, February 21, 2009

This is where produce comes to die.

I have never cooked. Nor have I ever claimed a desire to learn to cook. But, occasionally, it would be nice to have the skill set necessary to prepare something simple for consumption and sustenance. I lack this skill set.

4 nights ago, I came home for a quick 15 minutes between work and [other] work. In an attempt to feed myself, I decided on toast. Without a toaster, the oven would have to do. Within minutes the kitchen had filled with smoke. A few minutes later, my entire studio was a dark, toxic fire hazard. I couldn't see the mirror in front of me, let alone breathe. The cause of the near wipe out of my entire building? The last time I'd used my oven (a few months ago) had been to melt the remaining wax out of a candle. Needless to say, my apartment still smells like Hannukah.

Tonight, I cleaned out my produce drawer to find this...

Apparently, I've begun to grow a garden in my onion.

And these...well supposedly these were baby carrots in a past life. At least according to the bag. I don't believe it...

Sincerely yours and obviously better off with take-out,
Jessie B. R.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog while searching for information about living in Koreatown. I was wondering if you could give me a little advice.. Right now I am trying to decide between apartments Du Barry on 5th and Catalina, Barclay on 7th and Normandie, and Gaylord on Wilshire. While I love the art deco buildings and many restaurant/nightlife options the neighborhood has, I'm worried about the parking situation...Even with garage parking, it's not always close by and I guess some of them have rules about not parking during certain hours. Since you seemed to have lived in the neighborhood for a while, what are your thoughts? Is it worth it? Are you planning on staying? I am a single asian-american female in mid 20's, somewhat new to LA..

Jessie B. R. said...

Hey there! I happen to love Koreatown, but the parking in my particular area (Gramercy between Olympic and Wilshire) is horrific. A lot of buildings have garages for tenants, so I'd look into those as options. I often come home late at night and driving around for 20 minutes or parking several blocks away is not ideal, nor safe. But for the low rents in K-town, I find the brushes with late night danger worth it. It's cheap, it's central and I can walk to Ralph's. I've been in the area for over a year and plan on staying for at least a while more. Hope that helps!

Scott said...

OK, I'm officially terrified of your fridge! But not you, though.