Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's Saturday and your life is not that bad.


It's Saturday morning and I'm in Florida and it's humid as a sauna in a broke down spa in the Tropics. And I've complained a bit, I'll admit, in the last 36 hours about the temperature and the permanent dew that has affixed itself to my face and the hairs that won't stop frizzing, even on my arms.

But then I saw this picture this morning--from my air conditioned accommodations--and understood [though I already knew it] that the heat in Boca Raton, Florida is not that bad. At least not when you're merely hopping from hotel room to convertible to manse on the water.

The caption beneath this photo in the LA Times...

Peshawar, Pakistan — A young girl with her head partially covered with flies stands outside her family home on the outskirts of the city, in northwest Pakistan.

To be in your wee years, and to know flies on your small head--that is bad. That is terribly, cruelly bad.

[Image Credit: Fayaz Aziz / Reuters via LA Times]

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

I had a similar moment yesterday too, and this 60 Minutes segment set me straight. I literally watched it clutching my heart.