Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Coveting: Death and the Maiden


Perhaps it is not every girl's desire to hang a 34" portrait of a skeleton in full embrace with a svelte blonde above her desk. But something's got to fill the space left by the removal of what was once a 5' tall upside-down Jesus which proudly and with great Jesus-like stoicism graced my now barren wall panel for nearly 4 years. And what better to replace one painted icon which made people incredibly uncomfortable than with another--equally awkward, if not sacrilegious--piece of art.

I want this print by Edward Walton Wilcox. I want it now. I want it framed and wrapped in a black bow that offers just a hint of the gothic nature of the subject inside. I want to enter my studio and fall asleep each night with the image of undying--or already dead as the case may be--love reminding me of life and living.

Death and The Maiden
giclée on canvas
edition quantity: 25
28” x 34”

Available at the Merry Karnowsky Gallery.

No comments: