Merry Karnowsky Gallery (yes, I know this information would have been more helpful to you yesterday as opposed to quarter to eight on the day after--sorry).
I was a fan of this for a few reasons.
* More galleries should be as close to my home as the Merry Karnowsky Gallery is. To heck with Culver City. Let's build an art scene [around me] in Koreatown and Mid-City!
* Mercedes Helnwein is a favorite local artist of mine. Her drawings are incredible. And her new, larger format work is equally exciting, though a departure in ways of style as well as scope.
* My darling friend Elizabeth Ai was hosting (alongside a mysterious Beck who my friend and I never did spot). You may recall a while back I shared that Mercedes was doing some collaborative work with the Ai sisters for their awesome clothing line, Ai for Ai.
* I am a compulsive shopper and it's best that at least I have something worthwhile to toss my hard-earned money away for.
* Damien Hirst bought out Helnwein's last show in London. And it it's good enough for Hirst, it's better for me.
This was last night's guilty pleasure that's soon to be mine...
And this is my red dot. I just love when I can claim a red dot to be mine (says the art collector wannabe)...
I might make some snarky quip about reading it and weeping. But then again, it's my pocketbook I've hit and I feel if anyone should be weeping it might actually be me and not you.
Catch the show while it's still up.
MERCEDES HELNWEIN: TEMPTATION TO BE GOOD
November 13 - December 11, 2010
Merry Karnowsky Gallery
170 S. La Brea Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036
And while you're at it, read my March 2010 interview with Mercedes Helnwein here.